What will the courts do here in Arizona if my spouse quits working in order to stop having to pay spousal maintenance?

August 27, 2012 Cindy Best

A former spouse cannot avoid spousal maintenance or child support by voluntarily reducing or terminating his or her employment. The court has the discretion to attribute income to a spouse who voluntarily reduces his or her income and to require the paying spouse to pay spousal maintenance or child support in the former amount. The test is earning potential, not the actual earnings, if there was some kind of mischief.


Schedule Your Consultation

We can conduct your consultation by phone, zoom or in person. Call us today at (480) 219-2433 or fill out the form below.

Contact Information

9383 E Bahia Dr STE 100, Scottsdale, AZ 85260