After Court

After Court

The only way to overcome is to hang in. Even I’m starting to believe that.

~Dan O’Brien

After your first hearing, it is important to take a break and try to relax. Family law matters are usually full of stress that is compounded when the parties go to court. Settlement negotiations can help manage that stress. If you and your spouse are able to reach agreements, you can file a stipulated decree with the court before your actual trial date. If the court accepts your decree, your trial date will be vacated. If you file your decree within days of your trial date, be sure to call your judge’s judicial assistant and let them know what you are doing, so they can clear their calendar.

A list of the judges and their office telephone numbers can be found at:  Judges encourage settlement and will be pleased to know that you and your spouse were able to come to agreements on your own.

Next: The Decree

There are three types of decree: consent, default and judicial. A Consent Decree is a decree of dissolution by consent (agreed upon) and a Default Decree is a decree of dissolution in which one party does not respond to the filing. If a court makes the decisions for you and your spouse, they are drafted...

Read More >